Wednesday 1 June 2011

disaster!!

Well here's the plan, it's half term, my girls are home, the weather is a little bit sunny, I am feeling a tiny little bit like Nigella Lawson crossed with Nigel Slater crossed with a fabulous mother.  So put all this together and I decided to make strawberry jam with my girls!  So off we set to pick strawberry's at our local PYO farm......


My eldest did ask what PYO means!
So strawberry's picked and a kings ransom paid off we set to a well known supermarket to purchase sugar.  On arriving home with the job of hulling the said strawberries to be done, suddenly everyone is busy.
So the job falls to me!

So to work, pan too small for number of strawberries picked, took ages to come to boil, boiled for ever, once boiling had to decant to second pan as boiling over edge of first pan, used all saucers to test, decided to bottle in the hope it may set once cooled - RESULT, 3 hours later - runny strawberry jam!!
DISASTER!!!!
Plan B - decant jam, buy Certo, re-boil, put back into rewashed and sterilised jars, add gorgeous Cath Kidston labels - job done!  I can then convince everyone that I am indeed Nigella Lawson crossed with Nigel Slater!  Forget the fabulous mother part, once they had picked and scoffed their weight in strawberries they lost interest
Picture of completed scrummy jam to follow once above actions have been completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment